Module 6: Global Sourcing
Asynchronous Learning or Synchronous Learning
*NEW* When you click 'REGISTER', you will be asked to provide contact details and your province of residence. For international Candidates, please select 'International' as your province. You will then receive an email from your selected provincial institute with the registration and payment link.
This module has two options for delivery:
Option 1: Asynchronous via Brightspace
Option 2: Synchronous via Zoom
7:00pm to 10:00pm Central Time (Tuesdays)
The goal of this module is to help SCMP candidates become more acquainted with the issues and the strategy of global sourcing. This module is supported by a variety of articles on global sourcing, along with some websites on global business and economics.
Upon completion of this module candidates should be able to:
- Understand major issues of the global sourcing environment, such as barriers and facilitators to global sourcing, with special reference to low-cost country sourcing
- Conduct a total cost of ownership (TCO) comparison, including pre-transaction, transaction and post-transaction costs and sourcing an item domestically versus from a low-cost country
- Identify and discuss some critical business and social issues of sourcing from low-cost countries, including child labour and countertrade
- Identify important issues in the NAFTA/USMCA sourcing environment, such as drivers and challenges to sourcing from Mexico and the United States
- Discuss the role and function of intermediaries in global sourcing and compare the costs and benefits of indirect versus direct dealing in global sourcing
- Recommend when to use various means of payment available to importers/buyers
- Discuss the impact of currency exchange on global sourcing risk
- Discuss intellectual property and threats to it, including piracy and counterfeit goods and understand other security issues, including hijacking, bottlenecks and terrorism
What is the asynchronous learning?
Asynchronous learning is a form of online, self-study and is designed for those who prefer to work at their own pace, while meeting submission deadlines as defined in the course overview. Learners will not have live, scheduled meetings or classes, but will participate via our learning management system, Brightspace (D2L), where information, ideas and learning experiences can be shared. Learners will also have access to an instructor.
What is synchronous learning?
Synchronous learning, previously known at Supply Chain Canada as virtual, instructor led. Learners will have live, scheduled classes via Zoom with the instructor and fellow classmates. This format is designed for those looking for an interactive learning experience, and to network with other participants. Learners will have readings and assignments to complete outside of class time that will facilitate the weekly class discussion. Participants are expected to remain up to date with the deadlines provided. Please NOTE the time zone in which you register for synchronous courses.
What if I have to cancel my registration?
Please review the cancellation policy included within the registration and payment link.
How will I access my course materials?
All learning materials will be accessed via your Supply Chain Canada (member) portal.
This 7-week module is a mandatory component of the SCMP Designation program. Some exceptions apply for those with RPL related exemptions. Please note, this offering is only open to SCMP Candidates.
Candidates are encouraged to move through the program at a pace and sequence that suits individual schedules and career goals. Please note, it is recommended that Module 1 be taken first as it introduces Candidates to the program, and the case methodology used throughout.